James N Gillum

Thu Nov 20 10:11:29 EST 2008

Good morning fellow N&WHS members,
I'm saddened to hear of Jim's passing. Jim was truly a man that could get the job done. I don't think that the N&WHS would have grown and become as great of an organization as it is today without Jim's guidance. I would like to see the N&WHS Board do something in memory of Jim at the 2009 N&WHS Convention. I would suggest a memorial plaque that would be displayed in the N&WHS Archives. When I think of the archives and how it's grown, the first name that comes to mind is Jim Gillum. It was Jim's passion. I don't mean to imply that Jim did it all by himself. He had many loyal and tireless members helping him achieve the same vision of preserving the history of the world's greatest railroads.
As with any "Boss", Jim and I didn't always agree on some topics. I can hear some of you laughing inside after reading that comment. With that being said, I'll still miss him as many of you will. Let's all make a pledge to keep the N&WHS on the right track and continue to have the best N&W/VGN archives become even better in Jim's memory.
Please keep Jim's family in your thoughts and prayers. I said my prayer for Jim when I learned that he was ill.
May God be with you,
Norris Deyerle
N&WHS member
Blue Ridge Chapter, NRHS
National Director

I am sorry to report that past NWHS president Jim Gillum passed away last night. His family reports that he did not suffer and was in no pain. Jim had been fighting ALS - a degenerative muscle disease and was recently diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor.NWHS has lost one of its giants.Ron Davis