Arrow/Mainline Modeler

Fri Dec 2 01:45:47 EST 2005

Jim --
As author of the N&W hopper series, I'll comment on your questions to the
extent that I have knowledge. At my initiative, the articles were placed in MM
two years after appearing in The Arrow with permission from N&WHS leadership;
part of the agreement was that MM would run a N&WHS/Arrow credit with each
installment, and in the first and final installments we included a "join the N&WHS"
para with mailing address, etc. To me, the diversity of N&W's coal train
consists is one of the more interesting facets of the N&W, and part of my logic in
suggesting placement of the articles in MM was to interest a segment of the
hobby beyond the reach of The Arrow, and perhaps gain some members for N&WHS.
Beyond gaining coverage of N&W in front of a broader audience, I'm not aware of
any compensation from MM to N&WHS.

The cost of preparing modeling articles such as the hopper series is not
cheap. After the Arrow series finished, I recall commenting to Jarrell that I had
invested in excess of $200 just in photography expense to bring the hopper
series to fruition; shooting and reshooting in-process and finished model
closeups with just the right focus and lighting doesn't come easy or cheap, at least
for me. And if you compare the two sets of articles, you'll see some rewrite
and "selective compression" in the MM series to fit the articles into MM's
space constraints. I'm expecting to be paid MM's normal author compensation, and
not being independently wealthy, I'll welcome it to offset the costs already
incurred for both series. And rest assured, no one gets rich writing articles
for the commercial magazines, let alone The Arrow. You have to WANT to do it.

Hope this helps,
Bob Chapman

In a message dated 12/1/2005 7:11:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,