Durham District in the 50's

Tue Mar 29 09:11:40 EST 2005

When I was a child, mid-50's to mid-60's, my family would visit my aunt &
uncle in Woodsdale N.C. My uncle, Robert Robertson, was (among other things) the
N&W agent for Woodsdale at some point during that time. I vaguely remember the
RS-3's, but have a good memory of the RS-11's. My relatives lived just
up/over the hill from the crossing. I remember dashing out of the house & running to
the top of the hill to try to catch a glimpse of the train as it passed the
crossing. I had to be quick because there weren't any crossings north that
would alert me to an approaching train. If the wind was right I could sometimes
hear a southbound train "blow" for a crossing somewhere between Woodsdale &
Denniston.  I remember the line being very active with several trains during the
day & one or two (?) at night. I remember the rails were "heavy duty" & very
shiney (child's thinking) & much better looking than the lighter rails in my
hometown of Courtland (A&D/NF&D).
Now, the station is long gone, preserved as part of a restaurant in Roxboro.
The jointed rail is still there, never having been replaced with ribbon-rail.
The ROW is weedy & the line seems to be seldom used past the Hyco & Mayo power
plants.
How many trains were operated on the Durham District during the 50's - 60's
time period? What were their numbers & what times did they operate? Are there
any currently scheduled locals that work/serve customers all the way to
Roxboro?

Thank you,
Herb Edwards
hedwards52 at aol.com