ticket window and agents office window bars

Mon Oct 11 02:40:16 EDT 2004

October 10, 2004

Hello, all:

Jim Gillum advised that the N&W HS archives located
blueprints of the Charles Town, WV station.  These
were issued by the Office of Chief Engineer on June
26, 1913.  Oliver Mitchell in Roanoke was the
architect that prepared the drawings.

These are relevant to Boyce since it was under
construction about the time these drawings were
produced for the new brick station at Charles Town.
While there are notable differences, many of the
construction details are similar and in some cases
identical to Boyce's design.  While hope springs
eternal that Boyce drawings may eventually be found to
guide future restoration activities, these blueprints
are of immeasurable value in the interim.

So now to the point of this message.  I am wondering
if anyone has seen existing examples of the ticket
window bars shown in one illustration attached, or the
style of agent's office window guards shown in the
other.  Even if these are not available for sale,
knowing one or more examples exist for photography and
additional inspection would be most helpful.  I hope
that readers will keep this in mind as they travel, or
if they examine old photographs that may show examples
of these.  Interior views seem to be scarce from any
N&W station, so seeing examples of waiting room
benches and other interior fixture would likewise be
helpful.

I've confirmed that the two ticket windows at Boyce
required bars that measured 30 inches wide and 34
inches high.  I still need to check the measurements
for the agent's office bay windows.

I'm uncertain whether I am allowed to add graphics to
N&W Historical Society postings, so if the attachments
do not come through and you want them, please send me
an email off-line at the address below.

Best wishes,

Frank

=====