Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?

Thu Oct 14 06:57:10 EDT 2004

Re: Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?Yeah Ed corrected me on that one. I didn't realize they were built quite that far back. My youth and inexperience are showing, at least youth and inexperience is it relates to the N&W's locomotive practices.
Did the N&W ever run Decapods?

Bob Welsh

  Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 6:07 AM
  Subject: Re: Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?

    Well as the Y-class locomotives didn't exist in 1934 that would make sense. I think the Y's were built in the 1940's up until I THINK the last Y6 was built in 1952 (? someone correct me if I am wrong on when the last ones were built).

    Actually the y2's were 1916-7 era the y3's were 1918-1919 era USRA heavy articulateds, the Y3a's came around in 1919-1923(?) and the y4's were around by 1925-7. The Y5's were 1930 built.

    Mark Lindsey