[N&W] Books on Ys and Js

Thu May 6 22:35:41 EDT 2004

[Jan Bojarp wrote:]

I also have the book, The A, Norfolk & Western´s Mercedes of Steam.
I must tell you that I really like it, would it be to much to ask if they
could the same books about the Y´s and the J´s? What do you think?

Thanks for the kind words, Jan in Sweden.

As far as any further books - who knows?  Many of the people who supplied
great information about the A are no longer with us.  Exploratory efforts
are under way to see what could be done about the compounds . . .  This
would include the Ys.

EdKing

Hi Jan

There is such a book on the Y class:

Norfolk & Western Railway's Magnificent Mallets - The Y Class 2-8-8-2s
Author William E. Warden
Publisher TLC Publishing, Inc.,
Route 4 - Box 154,
Lynchburg,
Va. 24503-9711.
ISBN 1-883089-01-8

And another on the A & J by the same author:

Norfolk and Western Railway: A and J
Author William E. Warden
Publisher TLC Publishing, Inc.,
Route 4 - Box 154,
Lynchburg,
Va. 24503-9711
ISBN 0-944119-02-6

I haven't had the opportunity to peruse Ed King's book on the A's so I can't
comment about how they compare, but I do have a copy of the Y book, and
found it very good.

You might find some other publications of interest listed on my web site at:

http://nwry.railfan.net/bibliography.html

Cheers,
Simon Leigh

[Nathan Driscoll answers:]

There is a book detailing the inception and evolution of the entire Y
class, from Y's all the way to Y6b's.  It is called, The Y Class:  Norfolk
& Western's magnificent mallets.  I have this book and would recommend it
to you.  It can be bought through the Norfolk & Western historical
society.