N&W coke and other wagons interchanged to and from DT&I at Ironton vs Waverly ?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 13 14:26:42 EST 2024

Coke doesn't weigh as much as coal.Jimmy LisleSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: NW Modeling List via NW-Modeling-List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> Date: 2/13/24  11:24 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org Cc: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> Subject: N&W coke and other wagons interchanged to and from DT&I at Ironton vs Waverly ? Another query.Seem to remember that some of the coke and coal wagons from N&W were too heavy for, or would misbehave on the DT&I track from Ironton and so were interchanged at Waverly instead.  Could have been the height of the Royersville / Vesuvius tunnel but I recall something about axle loadings too. Does anyone know what was interchanged onto the DT&I at Ironton specifically ? For example, whether coke may have been conveyed in smaller wagons like H-9 and H-10 hoppers? I know H34s were occasionally used as there is a shot of one still in the VGN scheme on DT&I in Detroit.The far southern part of the DT&I was pretty much served by home-road stock, for clay and cement particularly, and they had their own coke traffic between Ironton - JISCO at Jackson.  Since the main interchange down there was with N&W,  I'd like to be clear about what N&W wagons should be modelled. Any recollections or views welcome. Regards Ben ScanlonLondon, England