Airbrush Paint

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 16 11:29:16 EDT 2023

As you may have already noticed, the first rule of airbrushing is to
each his own. I've never liked airbrushing acrylics because I find
they tend to gum up the airbrush too quickly, especially the Badge
Model Flex. I've had good luck so far with Tru-Color; some colors I
spray without thinning, others I add a drop or two of their thinner.
Tru-Color usually dries with a nice semi-gloss finish suitable for
decalling.
Mission Models is an acrylic that can be sprayed straight from the
bottle. It goes on smoother than most other acrylics I've used, but it
dries very flat. You will need to give your model a coat of gloss
before applying decals. A friend and I have both had issues with
Mission Models and Tru-Color paint coming off when masked over for a
multiple color paint scheme.
I don't do much weathering, but when I do, I prefer old bottles of
Floquil or Testors enamel. I find they can be thinned down to a wash
more easily than acrylics. Scalecoat also sprayed nicely for either
standard painting or weathering, if you can find it. Since it changed
ownership most colors seem to be on backorder.
I've never used an airbrush without a spray booth.
Marty Flick

NW-Modeling-List"