Airbrush Paint

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 16 09:05:55 EDT 2023

Jack,

First, check out Micro-Mark dot com for a wide selection of paints. I have
switched to Vallejo, a water-based acrylic that now has railroad colors,
but I have used just about every paint available over the years.

I also use Scalecoat, a solvent base, for brass but I don't know how widely
available it is now. I have tried to move away from solvents, except for
brass. In any event, the two paint bases, acrylic v. solvent, airbrush in
different ways.

Second, whatever paint you chose, know there is a learning curve, sometimes
steep. It seems every paint has its own characteristics when airbrushed. I
suggest you find videos on YouTube for the paint you choose and follow the
instructions with respect to thinning, pressure, etc.

I also have watched many videos produced by military modelers because
painting and finishing is everything with military models. I have learned a
lot about newer paints and related materials.

Happy painting!

Bill McClure

*Bill McClure*
*www.billmcclure.smugmug.com* <http://www.billmcclure.smugmug.com>