S-2 sleepers by Walthers

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jun 15 18:00:25 EDT 2022

 The S2's were delivered in the fall of 1948. The S1's came in late 1949 and early 1950. As delivered, the S2's were not assigned a class. When the Budd cars were assigned class S1, it was decided to give the Pullman cars a class also, but S1 was already used, so they became S2. Idon't know when they endered the general pool, but eventually an S1 would show up on the Shenandoah Valley trains, replacing the Buchanan County on that run. With cut backs, N&W had too many sleepers, so the S2's were leased to the IC, who repainted them in IC colors. (probably in the early 1960's) With the sale of the S1's in 1964, N&W got the S2's back, and the Buchanan County (at least) was painted red again (possibly N&W tuscan), but got the PRR style stripes back.I would not expect to see sleepers in a 1959 excursion. Anyway, they were still in regular service at that time.
Jim Nichols