Modifying Y models; Was Re: N&W caboose project Spring Mills Depot status

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Apr 17 13:02:16 EDT 2022

I have modified a Broadway Y6b into a Y6a. While the boiler is cast metal,
it can be cut by a razor saw or a cut off wheel on a dremel motor. I then
glued the smoke box back together with super glue (medium set CA) after
removing the smoke generator and the section containing the feedwater
heater. I also cut the running boards with a razor saw, and relocated them.
Then I relocated the air pumps, and added a feedwater heater onto the side,
as well as new piping. It's not a perfect conversion, but it's close enough
to represent a Y6a, and way cheaper than buying a brass one. Before I ever
started cutting my BLI's up, I practiced on a couple rivarossi's so I knew
where and how to cut. I'm cutting another BLI up now and documenting it to
hopefully put into the Arrow some day. I'm also cutting up a spectrum C&O
2-6-6-2 to turn into a Z1b.

The problem with starting with the Proto as a base, if I recall correctly,
is the frames on the Y5, Y6, Y6a, Y6b are much larger, as are the cylinders
and probably won't look right to represent a Y6.

Jonathan Jones