Modifying Y models; Was Re: N&W caboose project Spring Mills Depot status

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Apr 16 14:21:12 EDT 2022

As with any project, it depends how detailed you want to make it, and
what era you are doing. Or in the case of N&W steam, what year.
The smokebox length, feedwater heater, and air pumps are the key
identifying features, the things that when you take a quick glance at
the model make you say, "oh, that's a Y6, not a Y6b." The first Y6b's
as built had a smaller, oval smokebox door. The Y6's and Y6a's either
all or mostly got the larger slanted stack and the streamlined tender.
You could change out these details on a Y6b to make an as built Y6 or
Y6a.
Backdating a Y6b I believe is more manageable than updating a Proto
Y3. Not only would you need a new tender, but you would have to
install the covered sand pipes, the pipe connecting the cab and the
steam dome which divides the rear sand dome, the slant cab, and the
outside bearing journals on the pilot and trailing trucks. The basic
construction seems similar enough that I have considered placing the
top half of a Rivarossi Y6b boiler onto a Proto Y3 chassis, but that
still doesn't solve the pilot and trailing truck issues. Being diecast
metal instead of plastic, the Broadway/Precision Craft Y6b would
probably be unrealistic for most modelers to modify.
Col Jeffries' Giant Of Steam, N&W's Magnificent Mallets, and NJ
International's USRA 2-8-8-2's are probably the 3 best books for
comparing the differences in the Y classes, and when they were
modified.
Marty Flick