Three Sheds for Waynesboro

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jul 29 18:45:43 EDT 2021

In the mid 1990s *Mainline Modeler* ran a series of articles by Jeff
Koeller on Waynesboro, VA where the C&O crossed over the Shenandoah Valley
line of the N&W. Most, if not all, of the photos were from the C&OHS files.

Waynesboro is the southernmost town that I model on my N&W Shenandoah
Valley HO scale layout. I have used Jeff's articles in constructing this
town. Although these three sheds, or Motor Car Houses, may have been
relocated by my 1956 era, I thought they would make a nice addition to my
station area and scene.

All three sheds are different. I followed the N&W Standard Motor Car House
drawing for dimensions. I was surprised to learn the “rails” for the motor
cars were actually 2” x 4” timbers. I don't know if this was somewhat of a
standard practice among railroads, or unique to the frugal N&W.

I used Evergreen styrene sheets and strips to build the sheds. The stone
wall is a casting from a mold that I purchased from Dave Frary years ago.
Paints are Model Masters and Scalecoat II with some pan pastels weathering.
And the “rails” are Kappler Scale Lumber HO 2” x 4”.

The prototype photos are scans from Jeff's article.

Jim Brewer