E-2a repowering suggestions needed

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 3 14:16:14 EDT 2021

According to NWSL, they have no repowering kit that includes gearbox, couplings and motor but are willing to piece together something for me.  I would, as a minimum, replace the open frame motor and rubber tubing with their parts.  I’m not eager to replace the fabricated factory worm/gearbox because that requires pulling a driver, replacing the gear and requartering, which often doesn’t align with the other drivers.  I’m more inclined to disassemble, degrease and chemically blacken the brass parts, then reassemble with new NWSL parts.  My goal is a smooth mechanism that draws minimal amps for DCC installation.  Since the engine will require new headlight, class lights and stack (its diameter is too small), then DCC installed and painted, it’ll have to be completely disassembled anyway but I want to avoid messing with the drivers if possible.

I’ll be modeling 578 as it appeared in Summer 1958 when it ran with an auxiliary tender and 4 cars on the Norton branch.  I thought about doing 563 but don’t want to tackle relocating the running boards.

Jim King

 <http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/> http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/