611 in the 50s

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 25 16:52:41 EST 2021

Hi Jeff

Cannot answer the decoder question.

The chrome ring was clean and polished on all Class J locomotives, including 611. The 611 was apparently touch up painted at Shaffers Crossing in August of 1959 before running the Appalachian Power excursion and the two subsequent excursion trips in October. My feeling is after being stored at Bluefield, moved to Roanoke, and stored in the roundhouse, she was looking pretty ragged, and someone said to touch up the paint on the nose before this trip. Appalachian was a big shipper, and N&W did not want to send out a ragged looking locomotive.

The headlight ring stayed black until it was cosmetically restored at Roanoke Shops before delivery to the Transportation Museum.

Best
Ken Miller