Coach roofs

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Nov 29 14:01:41 EST 2020

Bob Chapman's article about building a modernized Pg coach is in the NWHS Newsletter Sep-Oct 1988, vol 4 number 5. He used two IHC "1920" Rivarossi coaches, cutting and splicing them to get the correct body length from 19 to 20 windows. He removed the mullions from the windows. The ends were cut away before gluing the two sections together. The new ends were cut the width of the carbody from .020 styrene leaving excess material above the sides for cutting the wood passenger car roof stock to the correct roof profile. The roof of the prototype Pg has a deeper section than the Northeastern roof stock. This can be corrected by gluing 1/16" x 1/16" fillers in the notches in the roof stock, then gluing a section of Northeastern floor stock to the underside of the roof  to replace the notches just filled in. Then cut/file the ends to match the roof.  The length of the wood roof is cut to fit between the new ends. The letterboards on the IHC Rivarossi do not have enough depth.  He removed the horizontal rivet strip at the top of the car  and cemented on new letterboards made from .010" x .156"  To me this would give you the heavyweight coach with flush ends used in the consist of N&W 1 & 2.

To model the turtle roof, I would suggest BCW plastic roof and end caps. I do not see them on BCW's website now, so I would suggest you call or email John and tell him what you need. BCW has several styles of car ends as well in their Kit Bits line. MDC roof pieces are Harriman profile and not quite correct for N&W. It was easy to get them when MDC was still in business, but I suspect hard to find now. My notes don't include all the details in Bob Chapman's article.

--Rick Morrison