Proto 2000 Heritage 2-8-8-2 decoder

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Oct 2 07:01:06 EDT 2020

For my steam models, I’ve been using SoundTraxx decoders. While I have diesels with different brands of decoders, I have not tried other brands of steam decoders.  The newer SoundTraxx decoders have all the steam sounds in one decoder rather than picking the decoder with only certain sounds loaded. They must have upgraded these also, because the choices of sounds when starting a locomotive seem better, such as when blowing water out of the cylinders. Here’s a link to listen to their sounds, which include recorded sounds from 611 and 1218. https://soundtraxx.com/reference/sound-samples/tsunami2-steam-sounds

The think I’d like to try, if space permits is to put one of the newer small cube speakers in the smoke box, so the sound is coming out of the engine instead of putting the speaker in the tender as space often required. It might also reduce how many wires have to run between the engine and tender.

I’m happy you got one of the Proto 2000 engines. I wish those were more available. It would be neat to get one of the NW 2050 engines like the one in the Union, Illinois museum.

Phil Miller