Eric in Gainesville--AMB caboose modelling tips

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Aug 17 16:04:01 EDT 2020

Hey Matt

Frank beat me to the punch, but the policy is still debatable, I have no problem with a modeling article, as long as it is basically timeless, in other words, not based on a specific kit, part, model that may disappear on the future, some things truly vanish from the scene and only occasionally will show on a secondary market, now if you are talking about Rivarossi cars, sure no problem, they will be around for a long time, but an obscure kit or very limited production model as the main basis of an article is not a good idea for someone on down the road. Scratchbuilt models with documentation would be excellent.

I’ve asked our modeling committee to come up with a survey for members, so we can actually see what people want. The Arrow is more of a historical journal, which is fine, it should serve as a great reference for modelers as well. I try to put photos in that can be related to modeling as well. In my days as a modeler, now long past, I always looked for photos and drawings that would give me new ideas or clarify questions. I still try to think about that when putting the Arrow together, as well as the documentation.

However, what I’d really like to see is a modeling e-mag like a number of other groups. There are several reasons for such to be e-mags, one it keeps the production costs down considerably, printing and mailing is expensive, and if modeling is only a portion of our membership (which we really do not know how much) that we are serving, the magazine should reflect that. But the history is our first priority, as I think most can understand.

Take a look at some of the other modeling magazines from other groups, most have a magazine devoted to history that goes to members, since I do not see all of these, I cannot speak to content as history vs. modeling

The Pennsylvania has a great quarterly magazine, much like ours, focus is on history, but they have a strong modeling group that is quite willing to share in The Keystone Modeler:

http://www.prrths.com/newprr_files/newPRRKeystoneModeler.htm <http://www.prrths.com/newprr_files/newPRRKeystoneModeler.htm>

The New York Central has a great magazine and a separate e-mag for modeling:

https://nycshs.org/for-the-modeler/nycentral-modeler/ <https://nycshs.org/for-the-modeler/nycentral-modeler/>

The Nickel Plate folks also have a modeling e-mag:

https://www.nkphts.org/modelersnotebook <https://www.nkphts.org/modelersnotebook>

The Atlantic Coast Line/Seaboard Air Line group does this

https://www.aclsal.org/publications <https://www.aclsal.org/publications>

The Baltimore and Ohio group also has this:

https://borhs.org/ModelerMag/index.html <https://borhs.org/ModelerMag/index.html>

The Southern Pacific group has some material available:

https://sphts.org/modeling/

Now, I cannot find anything on the Union Pacific or Santa Fe on-line. There are some other roads that offer modeling material in addition to their magazine, but in interest of keeping this shorter.

But, as I stated in the previous email, we cannot publish material that is not submitted. As I said, my modeling days are past, so I am of little use on that. However, to make an e-mag can be easily done, if folks will get the material to us, we will assemble and make the e-mag available.

An e-mag is much simpler than print, photos can be lower resolution, than requirements of 4/c printing, product listings, new products available, tips and suggestions, photos of your models.I’d really prefer tp have someone coordinate and then get the material to me, then I will put it in a final form for distribution.

Best
Ken Miller (miller at nwhs.org <mailto:miller at nwhs.org>)