Class M

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Aug 14 09:51:00 EDT 2020

Roger

The wreck in the swamp was May 26, 1986. The program ended in December 1994. After the wreck, which was, if I recall correctly, according to the FRA accident report was due to a broken track part that had been damaged by the proceeding coal train and broke after the 611 had passed over it. Again, going by recollection, the 611 was doing 58 mph in 6- mph zone.

The cars that were overturned and sideways in the train were older cars which did not have tite-lock couplers, which probably made the accident worse. So, after the wreck, all the old Southern heavyweight coaches, including Missionary Ridge and W. Graham Claytor were removed from service. The tool car 1407 was equipped with tite-locks and the others retired and sold off.

The operating rules dropped the speed limit on all steam locomotives to 40 mph. Prior to that, the local restrictions were all that was there. I rode the cab on the first trip north of Lynchburg and we sat on 69 mph tops there. Several occasions I rode were high speed, we hoped to be able to go to 80 on the Santa Fe on the way to Kansas City, as that was track speed there, but the Santa Fe shut use down with a wad of speed restrictions as we were ready to depart. We made some decent speed at the usual locations on the Norfolk Division and Scioto Division at times before the restrictions, as well as former NKP territory.

Other places we had to plod along...

Ken Miller