Scratch building

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 26 11:06:51 EDT 2020

Mike,

You mentioned scratch-built, but another option that you may be aware of is doing a bash using AMB’s kit no. 132 (http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm <http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm>). Tug looks like a shorter version of the same plan. Hager looks different enough to either have been a shortening on two dimensions, or a custom build?

Dad used the AMB kit to create Circleville’s tower. There’s still room for scratch building the location-specific details, as dad did for the (what I think are a beautiful set of) metal stairs that were added in the early 40’s when the building was fire-proofed. Details will also give it your personal touch - rafter tails, downspouts, water diverters on the roof, lamp over the stairs, interior detail, etc. The building also had to be shortened and some windows and a door had to be plugged.

As built, our version of this model is a bit of a foobie given the building was almost certainly given its asbestos shingles at the same time the stairs were replaced, but we both preferred the look of the original lap siding.

Jim Kehn (the previous responder) has built some beautiful towers - his advice is worth listening to if you go the full scratch build route.

Matt Goodman
Columbus Ohio US