Scratch building

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 26 08:46:43 EDT 2020

Mike,

Although I have scratchbuilt windows in the past, I now usually try to find
the closest Tichy casting that appears to be the right size; you can modify
the casting by cutting out mullions, etc.

Instead of cutting individual openings in the sheet styrene for each
window, I would assemble one "wall" of windows together for each side of
the structure, perhaps using .040 styrene strip for the spacing between the
windows; then you just have to cut one large hole in the styrene base
rather than all those pesky individual holes.

In the past American Model Builders (http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm)
offered the Forest, VA interlocking tower as a kit; I built it years ago
for a review in the Society's then bi-monthly magazine; the finished model
was at the Archives but I have no knowledge if it is still there.  You
might look at the windows in that kit to see if they more closely fit your
needs.

Be sure to keep us up to date on your progress; this sounds like a very
interesting buiid.

Jim Brewer