When?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Aug 20 12:24:22 EDT 2019

Walter

The “NW” scheme was announced in the N&W Magazine, March 22, 1971. On the front cover was depicted the new scheme on a hopper with a date of February 1971. There is a photo of a boxcar in the article, but it is a Lionel boxcar!

This application of the “NW” was only to be on new equipment, and applied to older equipment as shopped for heavy repairs.

If you are modeling the fall 1958, there is no “half-moon” scheme, no “NW” scheme. Boxcars were boxcar red with white lettering, spelled out, in the same scheme (short of changing the “&” to “AND” since the teens.

Best
Ken Miller