N&W Class HU hoppers

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Aug 8 15:42:06 EDT 2019

Mainline modeler did line drawings of them back in the day. Since I used to model pre WWII N&W I was thinking about making patterns and making copies using Alumilite.  Never got around to doing it though.  I did make some sudo Hu’s from Athern BB 4 bay hoppers with added ribs and ends. I was going to do a fleet of about 25.

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930’s

> On Aug 8, 2019, at 1:52 PM, NW Modeling List via NW-Modeling-List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim.
>
> This is one of those models that I think would sell reasonably well to pre-ware modelers, were they produced. Like you, I have not seen any modeling advice on these hoppers.
>
> Recently, I bought a half-dozen of Broadway Limited's H2a hoppers with the intention of using them as a starting point to convert to HUs. The H2as are direct descendants of the HU, with the same dimensions. That's a good start, but the models will require a lot of modifications to back date them. Some are relatively easy, like removing the nine ribs on the side and replacing them with seven vertical and several horizontal stiffeners. Others are more involved - namely converting the three-hopper bottom to four. I have a couple of ideas on the latter that need some more research to determine if they'll work
>
> I have not started this project yet - but hope to in the next several months.  Good luck to your friend.
>
> Incidentally, on your other question about the caboose roof color, there have been past discussions about that on this list (one as recently as a month or two ago). You can search the archives via the NWHS site using some variation of the following two links where the first part is the website you want to search, and the second part (CF Caboose) is what you want to search for on the site.
>
> site:http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-modeling-list/ CF Caboose
>
> The mailing list archives themselves can be found at the weblink in the middle of that mess.
>
> Matt Goodman
> Columbus, Ohio US.
>
> On August 8, 2019 at 1:21 PM, NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I have been contacted by a fellow modeler who would like to build a few HO models of the N&W Class HU 4-bay hopper; I looked through my files and did not find any modeling suggestions for this car.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any suggestions for a good starting point? I will forward any and all suggestions on to him.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jim Brewer

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930’s