CABOOSE ROOF COLOR

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jul 18 14:34:17 EDT 2019

Ed,

There was a web blog page some years ago with a series of articles the
author used to describe his experience building the AMB kit. I believe you
will find the articles most helpful with many "do`s and don't's". See link
below.

https://www.zealot.com/n-w-cf-caboose-amb-image-heavy-t155662.html

I was several years ago at the end of a build of a GloorCraft kit and was
also searching for paint color guidance. In the articles There was a
suggestion of what "caboose red" color to use plus insight into roof color.
All is discussed in the article. I do not avow to the accuracy of the info
but it does seem to fit other info I have found.

The author suggested that at least during the steam age the roofs were
covered with sheets of canvas coated with an asphalt based roof coating
material. The author continued to describe his tissue paper with brown
paint coating simulation method. See page 3 of blog link.

I used his method with white tissue paper ( like used in gift bags) and
brown paint and had great success. I didn't use a glue to attach the paper
but made used of the paint soaked into the paper to act as a glue. I layed
the strips on the roof and then painted them onto the roof. I could adjust
position before it dried. I then applied the over lapping sheet and
repeated the process until all was covered. I rough cut the sheet lengths
so they would extend over the sides and ends. Then trimmed once the paint
dried. A little touch up paint finished the job.

I think the Gloor Craft kit came out well with this roof method and i plan
to use it on my in-waiting AMB kit.

I also have a CF brass caboose I want to refurbish from a previous owners
poor paint job and use the authors techniques where applicable. It needs
some undercarriage detail corrections also.

If interested I will send pictures of my finished GloorCraft kit once I
return home this weekend from vacation.

Kevin Byrd
Chesterfield, VA