E2a Motor / Gearbox Recommendations

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 27 12:10:50 EDT 2019

For reference, I took the model apart and found the following:

The open frame motor is connected to the worm via a rubber(ash) material. Mine is still flexible, but slips on the worm axle.
This is a direct-drive gearbox; i.e., the worm gear directly drives the axle-mounted worm wheel (no idler)
The worm is brass; the worm wheel (axle gear) appears to be nylon or similar.
The worm wheel has 40 teeth, making this a 40:1 ratio (so the suggested motor may be too slow for the stock gearbox).

To take advantage of the high-torque motor that Ken suggested, then a gearbox change would be required. However, the eccentric crank is soldered on - an arrangement I’m not familiar with (my experience is limited). My assumption is that this crank is a press or slip-fit and the solder is used to secure it. Assuming the eccentric crank will lift off after being de-soldered, is the crank pin simply a threaded stud that can be unscrewed from the wheel?  Does it have to be in order for the wheel to be pulled?

Matt