Spring Mills N&W Caboose

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 13 11:19:02 EDT 2019

Roger,

Being a tiny manufacturer in a niche market (resin kits in S and O scales), I keep tight reins on inventory, especially items that decline in quality over time, like rubber molds and decals.  I’ve been burned more times than I can remember over the years by people who’ve placed a no-money-required reservation and never follow thru for various reasons.  In all cases, I eventually sold those extra kits but that’s not my point.  If someone says they’ll buy X-kit and doesn’t follow thru with the commitment, that’s a problem.  Just like the ol’ saying that 1 bad apple spoils the barrel, I’ve been forced to require 100% prepayment for cars that I’m committed to producing, usually after the design portion has started.  I also routinely send out emails to the folks who’ve reserved describing updates on the project so they don’t feel “connected” to their investment.  Communication is critical in my business, whether industrial or modeling customers, and is VERY lacking with most companies I’ve dealt with.  In the model RR world, many suppliers have full-time jobs.  Some are retired and their hobby business has started to run them instead of they running the business.  “One and done” is often the result.

I can’t speak for other manufacturers but prepayment works for me.  While I may not be the fastest to deliver a product, I try to do so within a reasonable amount of time.  Only once have I refunded 100% of payments rec’d for a project and that was due to my mechanism supplier pulling the plug on me after I paid for a prototype and he “claimed” he could make what I want.  He got my $250 and nothing else, nor will he ever have the opportunity again.

Jim King

 <http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/> www.smokymountainmodelworks.com