Caboose roof color questions

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 6 13:33:11 EDT 2019

I'm gradually gathering a small collection of steam-era cabooses.  Most will
require painting and I need to know appropriate roof colors for late 50s
cabs.  I know the C-3's were delivered with brown roofs and I plan to paint
mine that way.  My Westside CF's will have smoke jack caps, simulated
tarpaper and tarred seams added to the plain roofs prior to painting.  I've
seen some color pix that appear to have red and some with black but I have
no color pix showing brown.

Is it accurate to paint CF and CG cabs black, brown or red to represent
1957-62?  I've been told that Floquil Roof Brown is a good color, followed
by weathering.  Since the 2 Westside CF bodies will be identical, I'd like
to vary the roof color to distinguish them.

Jim King

 <http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/> www.smokymountainmodelworks.com