Bored with steam

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Feb 23 15:18:09 EST 2019

On 2/22/2019 9:56 AM, NW Modeling List via NW-Modeling-List wrote:
> Sometimes the manufacturers are just missing the point.

I may catch some flack for this, but so be it. In my opinion, I think
it's much more accurate to say that sometimes model railroaders are
missing the point!

I'm more of a Southern Ry. modeler, but I've always had a love for steam
of all sorts, and my chosen prototype had enough ties with the N&W that
I need some N&W steam as well. Add to that the fact that I go by the
back side of VMT several times a week (one of the perks of being an
engineer at NS!), and I'm firmly in the camp that wants a better variety
of small N&W steam.

If you think the situation is bad with N&W steam, it's even worse for
Southern. If it's not a USRA prototype, you can't get it unless you buy
brass. There has never been an accurate Southern Ry. specific steam
locomotive made in plastic, or any kit form. Since I know a bit about
the subject, and since I know a few people who know a little bit about
such things, I looked into the possibility of manufacturing a limited
run of accurate SRR locomotives. There's one specific prototype which,
like the M, gets brought up every single time people start clamoring for
an accurate SRR locomotive. If you're going to make a go of it, that's
the prototype to chose. We ran the numbers. Then we ran the numbers by
the people who said they wanted a model. They laughed at us. "You could
just but a brass model for that price!" Very true. But that's what it
would cost to manufacture and distribute, without even giving a thought
to profit.

The sad reality is that the number of people who would actually put
their money where their mouth is simply does not justify the expense of
manufacturing an accurate steam locomotive model for a relatively small
(compared to PRR, UP, SP, ATSF) regional railroad which has an very
small active group of steam modelers. Realistically, if somebody were to
make an accurate M class in HO scale, they'd probably sell less than 100
of them. Even if they could keep production costs down to $100,000 for
the entire run (which I doubt), they'd have to sell the models for
$1,000 apiece just to break even. To get them into the more reasonable
$250 range, and to turn a profit, they'd probably have to sell closer to
1,000 locomotives. Do you really think there are enough people out there
with cash in hand ready to buy 1,000 HO scale Ms? I don't.

Now, I'd love for somebody to prove me wrong, but in my experience
dealing with this subject over the years, it's a case of "I want XYZ,
and somebody should make it!" But then somebody tries, and they go broke
because everybody's XYZ is slightly different, and "For that price, it
ought to be exactly what *I* want!"

My advice for those who really want an accurate XYZ and don't want to
buy brass for whatever reason is to scratchbuild it. And yes, I've taken
that advice. I'm one of relatively few active modelers today who have
heavily kitbashed and scratchbult steam. You'll learn very quickly (or
very slowly, depending on how fast you work!) why these things cost what
they do. For me, it's the only way to get the models I want, and I enjoy
the process and the challenges. But it does limit what I'm able to have,
because I can easily spend a year on a single locomotive.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's reality as I've come to
see it.

Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman