Bored with steam ... what about hoppers?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Feb 22 15:28:15 EST 2019

I'm tired of hearing there is "no market for H9 and H10" hoppers because they were road-specific.  I've tried enticing a couple RTR importers but no luck.  There were over 12,000 H9s made from the HL and they lasted into the mid-80s in ballast service plus some being sold/leased to the B&O.  Did other roads run them?  Can you say "fleet car"?

The HL has been beat to death in HO going all the way back to the 1960s with Athearn plastic.  The 55-ton fishbelly hopper dates to 1950s Ulrich and, while not accurate for the H9, has been used in desperation by many a modeler.  I've seen the H9 done once in brass (there may have been other importers; I just don't know).  The H10 has never been done, although someone stated (incorrectly?) that Eastern Car Works made the H10 kit.  I know they made the H2/H2a/H3 'cause I have 3 of them but have never found an H10.

I'm using a US-based 3D printing company who can print parts in a wide variety of colors down to 14 micron layers ... that's .00055" for those of you not familiar with the metric system.  I've recently rec'd samples of my new ASF Ride Control truck in S and a body section of the upcoming Southern low side steel gon in O.  Amazing resolution!  I'd like to use this technology to print an H9 and H10 in HO, complete with brake gear, piping and rods because those features are VERY difficult and extremely aggravating to install and, since they are protected under the hopper bays, can be printed without damage.  The new 3D printing process they use has dissolvable supports that do not require "clumsy hands" to clean.  They have reproduced "wire" diameters down to .015" accurately and, while a tad oversize for HO, I can get down to .012-.014" for piping.  Grab irons need to remain wire because they are exposed; same for injection molded steps.  Imagine the potential using this new technology???  This is several steps above a 1-pc resin kit, IMO.  Stay tuned ...

Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com