Grant Carpenter--mine operations

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Dec 28 14:25:12 EST 2018

Hi, Grant,So nice of you to expound on mine operations.  I am thinking on how to implement these things.  I have thought of two--person crews.  It could work that one crew times out after taking the empties up the branch and the next crew(arriving in a true "mini" van-LOL) could bring the loads back to marshalling yard.  A person or two could work the marshalling yard.I probably have room for one mine run branch and yard.  May be able to double track for a passing/storage siding for a little bit.I know there are two types of coal--steam and metallurgical.  I know that tonnage output of a mine is based on a 50 ton car= 1.  Louis Newton was kind enough to write about such things...70 ton cars = 1.4 and 100 ton cars are 2.  Also some tonnage could be held at a mine for laterdelivery.The recent discussions about temperature and tonnage on the other blog has been fascinating and could be incorporated into operations without cutting a single piece of styrene.Time to unclutter the train room so these things may start.Thanks for the encouraging word.
email for offline:  docshock31 at yahoo.com
Mike Shockley