Coal operations, vol 1

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Dec 26 22:46:57 EST 2018

Dr. Shockley,

Ironically, "pure N&W" may help you share the joy with more friends and
with less compromise. Where to begin. (I assume you have considered
two-person crews.)

You mention mine runs. How many depends on the number of tipples and
branch length--locate tipples along the entire branch and out on the
main. Max out and total the daily load output of all tipples, divide by
the load rating of a mine run and split up tipples into territories per
mine run. Two mine runs can split the branch, upper (first job) and
lower (second job), add a passenger run and you now have up to three
crews on the branch line plus whatever it takes to work tipples along
the main.

An empty hopper departs a terminal for the coalfields and returns as a
load. This is often modeled using two identical mine runs, one each
session. On the N&W, that could take up to seven(!) jobs, not including
a possible layover in storage. You would need to add a storage location
near the branch line junction that can be anything from one siding up to
a small yard, but capacity for at least about half the daily output of
the tipples it serves. Here, some road crews would set off empties from
one direction and others would pick up loads for terminal yards in both
directions.

Mine runs running light or with empties from the nearest terminal would
pick up empties at the storage location, go work their territory, return
to the storage location with loads they blocked at the tipple, set off
the loads and run home light or with loads up to their load rating.

A tipple loading (only) raw coal would ship to another tipple,
preferably in another mine run's territory, that can unload these
"short" loads, process and reload the coal. This would require a setoff
between mine runs at the storage location. Locate the tipple at a second
storage location on the main and an additional movement by a main line
job is required.

Grant Carpenter