EXTERNAL: Re: 6 wheel trucks

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Nov 23 16:32:37 EST 2018

A few years ago three of us started on an article on the battleship
gons of the the three Pochahontas roads.  It started to swell into a
book that no one wanted to publish, even POD, so we're taking it back
to an article or a short series, and Ken has even expressed mild
interest.  So without giving the whole thing away (LOL)

We thought there would be about six battleship gon types.  Over the
three roads, and two other one-offs, we identified over a dozen prior
to 1960.  N&W had about 6 (without digging for the Dow book),
Virginian had 6, C&O had one.  The one-offs and rebuilds make the
numbers kind of fuzzy depending how you count.

Getting away from the gons, N&W had at least two (I hope)somewhat
experimental 100 ton hoppers, both with six wheel trucks, and PRR had
one.  It appears that these were  annoying in most service, so the
larger size gons and hoppers didn't progress for a while.

Modeling: there have been a few models of the Virginian cars, of
varying accuracy and quality.  Westerfield did a wonderful GKa, and
I'm not sure if the new owners have rerun it or intend to.   I'm not
sure what's more difficult: finding the kit, or finding one that has
been well put together.

The Red Ball and Concept Models battleship gons are probably best
ignored, IMHO.  They aren't right for anything, but maybe can be
bashed.

Frank Bongiovanni