Coal operations

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Oct 30 12:51:19 EDT 2018

David,

Attended a clinic (don't remember if it was a C&O or an N&W function)about
what traffic you could see at a coal mine besides coal cars.  Mines would
use machinery, oil for that machinery, timber, tools, etc.  Some box cars
and a few tank cars would not be inappropriate.  And on some branch lines
there was some minimal passenger service that served as "commuter service"
for the miners.  Don't know for sure, but it sounds like you're in a later
period than would support animals (horses or mules?)around the mines.  And
if your "real" location was served by another road besides N&W, you have
more possibilities.

Frank Bongiovanni