PAINT QUESTION

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jul 24 17:07:45 EDT 2018

Jimmy:

I use "three feet" as the closest distance at which most spectators will
view our models.  Sometimes we have invoke a "six feet rule" because that's
the best approximation possible.  Many will get in closer, of course. Good
for them; many helpful suggestions result from such scrutiny.  Perfection
is an elusive goal and attaining it nigh unto impossible - and rarely worth
the effort.  Otherwise, a hobby becomes an obsession*.  Do the best of
which you're capable and enjoy it.  Yes, I've taken models I did decades
ago and redone them because I now found them unacceptable in some way.

Certainly the actual painting of a model is done close up.  And since I
"went to the spare parts department" as my late wife called it (cataract
surgery), with magnifiers.

*My personal OCD is having the correct trucks on streamlined passenger
cars.  Window spacing - I pretty much couldn't car less, within reason
(which I get to define!).

Thanks for the note!

Dave Phelps