Redbird

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jul 4 10:12:52 EDT 2018

I remember the Athearn announcement from over a year ago and at the time
I called my favorite dealer, who said he does not carry the line because
the distributor will not sell to a trains only store in this region.
They want to sell to full line hobby shops.  So I called my second fav
and he pre-ordered one of the Redbirds for me.  Unfortunately, he went
out of business in January.  I was able to find one on E-Bay and it is
supposed to arrive on Friday.  I saw the original announcement that was
sent to Athearn e-mail recipients (those who have signed up). The fact
that so many folks want both the red and blue versions, and the fact
that so many of us want black versions, as well, should prompt Athearn
to build more N&W models.

The question I have is "Are they aware of the demand?"  They would be if
they were members of our society.  We have an ongoing discussion about
getting more members and sponsoring new members. Why don't we include
manufacturers?  I would be  willing to contribute to a fund that would
sponsor manufacturers' memberships.  I suspect that many of the
manufacturers have seen "The Arrow" once or twice, already.  Since our
MAT already have a fair number of contacts with the people who make
decisions at the model manufacturers, copies of our fantastic magazine
and model related e-mails should be made available to them regularly.
The more info they have from us, the more they will think about us (like
that song you can't get out of your head).  I know that "The Arrow" is
expensive to produce, and it is a really high end product that says a
lot about the membership, so I think it would go a long way in
impressing manufacturers about the loyalty and interest of N&W and
Virginian members.

Walter Davis
Wishing someone would make some K's,
Modeling N&W and Virginian in Youngsville, NC