HO Herald King Hopper Decals

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 10 19:18:39 EDT 2018

Hello modeling group. I'm Ryan Harris and I've been modeling N&W
equipment from afar for several years now. I got hooked on NS when I was
in college in Georgia in the early 90s, but it wasn't long before I
became more interested in the predecessor roads of NS. My modeling era
is the mid to late 80s, so that puts me squarely in post-merger
territory but I have more than my fair share of pre-merger equipment.

I'm working on a coal train based largely on the Andrew Dow book. I've
come to the point where I want to decorate some hoppers in what I
believe is called the Claytor scheme (seen here:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1959433 ) but I
haven't had much success finding decals for these cars until now - maybe.

I found Herald King set H-55 in their alphabetic listing of decals,
described as: "H-55 HOPPER: Blk 100 Ton (1981) Wht Decal". The
illustrated catalog is not much help, since the images are such a low
resolution it's impossible to make them out. Here's the image from their
website:

https://heraldkingdecals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/H22-232x300.jpg

It looks like the upper left image on the catalog page might be what I'm
looking for. Can anyone confirm if Herald King H-55 is the set I'm
looking for?

Also, another problem is I can't find any in stock anywhere. I've set up
a saved search on ebay in case any turn up there, but I'm looking to
letter about a dozen cars. If these are indeed the decals I'm looking
for and anyone has a lead on where I can purchase about a dozen sets,
I'd very much like to know.

Of course, if there is a better set that I'm unaware of I'd love to find
out about it. I bought a couple sets from the commissary a few weeks
ago, but those decals will work only for earlier cars.

Thanks,

Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas