Peaked ends

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 20 13:55:59 EST 2018

re: Peaked Ends - This from a C&O fan no less  :)

‘WESTERFIELD MODELS - Detail Parts Prices March 1, 2017’ (pdf download available from: http://www.westerfieldmodels.com/ )

“#2190 Hopper Car Detail Set (Enterprise Door Locks, End Peaks, Slope Sheet Support Struts) - Set for 1 car $5.50”

If memory serves, these fine (and fragile) resin parts are originally from the old USRA/C&O 70 ton 3 bay hopper kit. They also have complete radial ends available. I don’t know if N&W had any, but C&O had lots of them.

MDC (Roundhouse/Athearn) - Oval end extension part set for their 3 bay ribbed triple hopper (plastic body based on original diecast metal kit). Probably better described as a ‘Oval, Notched’ end, it is not full width, instead leaving one side flat. Perhaps for brakeman access.

I can’t seem to find the old MDC part number for the little package of a pair of these oval end extensions, but I clearly remember the little (1-1/2”x2” ?) clear plastic bag with a printed card label and the two castings on a short sprue. I have seen them at plenty of train shows and hobby shops. Alas, many years ago. But I’m sure that some are still out there, in modelers basements, maybe a few hobby shops, and surely at train shows, if you look hard enough. They may even be in an Athearn parts list. I seem to recall something like that, but have no idea if still true. Probably well buried anyway.

I have enough MDC ends for my needs, and I think I sold some excess pairs years ago. So I can’t help supply anyones needs. But I wish you good luck finding as many as you want.

Dave A