EXTERNAL: Re: Walters Proto 53' flatcar

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Oct 27 12:54:28 EDT 2017

The ORERs are great, and I own several for just that reason.  In the
specific case of the N&W, two even-more valuable resources are the two
Equipment Diagram books that NWHS sold reprints of, one from before the
1964 mergers and one after.  Their diagrams support the thesis that the
only pre-merger flat cars of interest to this discussion, the F3, were not
AAR design, but appear to be constructed using the GSC cast underframes.
Post merger, the diagram books show some AAR-design flats, but don't give
their pedigree.  Unfortunately the coverage of flat cars in Jim Nichol's
"color" book is not comprehensive enough to answer the pedigree question.
I suspect, however, that other readers of this forum can supply those
details.

Regards,

Dave Phelps