Question about sanders, A Class Locomotives

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Apr 27 07:15:31 EDT 2016

I use Armor Sand from Testors.
--
Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930’s

From: NW-Modeling-List <nw-modeling-list-bounces at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list-bounces at nwhs.org>> on behalf of NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>>
Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:24 PM
To: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>>
Subject: Question about sanders, A Class Locomotives

Hello---
 I have a question for the “General Group” and maybe more specially the “A” Class operators.  I am the owner of Red Pine Precision Modeling from Brooklyn, WI.  I’m in the final stages of finishing a HO Scale Samhongsa/ Key “A” Class brass locomotive (#1208). I’m familiar with sander dust  in the upper Midwest, but I don’t have any idea what general color the Norfolk & Western’s sand is.  I’ve been told that it was “Yellow Ochre”.  This color is Yellowish Brown .    My thoughts were to use Floquil “Reefer White, Roof Brown and a drop or two of Reefer Yellow”.  I would mix it to a consistency of a very light whitish brown with just a tinge of yellow.  I would further reduce the paint mixture approx. 75% with paint thinner.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated .
I’m told by Steve Llanso that Wes Barris might be helpful.

Thanks,
 Tom Cox
 Red Pine Precision Modeling
 N7860 Kelly Road