Question about sanders, A Class Locomotives

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Apr 26 19:24:54 EDT 2016

Hello---

I have a question for the “General Group” and maybe more specially the
“A” Class operators. I am the owner of Red Pine Precision Modeling from
Brooklyn, WI. I’m in the final stages of finishing a HO Scale Samhongsa/
Key “A” Class brass locomotive (#1208). I’m familiar with _sander dust_
  in the upper Midwest, but I don’t have any idea what general color the
Norfolk & Western’s sand is.  I’ve been told that it was “Yellow
Ochre”.  This color is Yellowish Brown .    My thoughts were to use
Floquil “Reefer White, Roof Brown and a drop or two of Reefer Yellow”.
I would mix it to a consistency of a very light whitish brown with just
a tinge of yellow.  I would further reduce the paint mixture approx. 75%
with paint thinner.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated .

I’m told by Steve Llanso that Wes Barris might be helpful.

Thanks,

  Tom Cox

  Red Pine Precision Modeling

N7860 Kelly Road