THE SIX P'S

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 10 20:01:51 EST 2016

I agree with Jim, that this is a good way to install a tortoise after the fact. But there are a few details omitted. The distance between the throwbar and the tube through the roadbed is usually about ½ to 5/8 inches (dimensions are for HO layouts). That allows the mechanism to have enough throw without binding. Underneath the layout, you then bend the piano wire 90 degrees to form a bell crank. From the lower horizontal, I then bend down another 90 degrees and attach to the tortoise. I try to make the upper horizontal and lower horizontal about the same length. I agree that you should go up in size on the piano wire, as this mechanism will need to be stiffer than the provided wire.

Another alternative is to drill a large hole (usually ¼ to ½” depending on thickness of roadbed and sub-roadbed) to the side of the turnout and in line with the throwbar. You can then use the tortoise recommended configuration with an additional bend at the top of the wire (again going up in size). The drawback here is then hiding the hole in the scenery without interfering with the mechanism.

For the turnout in your picture, could you mount the tortoise higher and behind the rock face scenery with a throwbar extending out through the scenery? But again, hiding things like that can be a problem.

It’s a lot easier to mount in their recommended configuration. But that does require planning ahead. And the club layout where I do this did not always provide the forethought when track was laid.

Don Trettel

Fall City, Wa.