Question - train end lanterns

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Nov 18 22:18:07 EST 2015

I've got to take exception to a few things here.

Train service crews didn't change any lenses.

A marker lamp had one red lens and either two or three yellow lenses.  Green lenses were common on western roads but most eastern roads used yellow.  The N&W was a red and yellow lens road with the body of the lamp painted yellow.

The bayonet mount on the bottom of the lamp was connected to a ring that went around the bottom of the lamp.  The lamp body would turn within the ring to allow the red lens to either be swung to the rear or away from the side of the caboose as needed.

I haven't figured out how to do the last step.  When the caboose was no longer the end of a train the markers were removed and stored inside the caboose.

Stoney
Rick Stone
NWHS #0001

you will be fine with red LED's.

The actual rules get complicated with the circumstance as the lenses
would get changed out to differrent colors depending on the
circumstance, like if its on a siding stopped you may have red to the
rear and yellow to the side, changing the colors out in HO would require
multiple color LED's-multiple LEDs for each lense, or fibre optics.

I am actually doing this on a steam engine marker lights using a 3 color
LED. Takes using the Titan decoder (a function decoder can work)

Sometimes the caboose might display 3 different colors, this would
require 3 function decoders/3  3 color LED's progrtammed at differrent
addresses to control. Maaaaybe a wee bit more than we want to get into,
but be fun if you really could.

If you have differrent lenses to mount, use a white LED, just for
jollies, red to the rear-yellow to the side, mix it up a bit, if you
don't want to go this far, clear lense and red LED works, whatever works.

You cold websearch caboose marker light rules, might bring up answers.