sound decoder ?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Oct 27 14:42:06 EDT 2015

Actually a sealed box is called Air Suspension, Bass reflex implies a ported design.
--
Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930’s

From: NW-Modeling-List <nw-modeling-list-bounces at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list-bounces at nwhs.org>> on behalf of NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>>
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 11:32 AM
To: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>>
Cc: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>>
Subject: Re: sound decoder ?

Hi Jimmy,
Sorry I am away from home so I cannot give you a photo but I can better describe it!
Most speakers are installed with the magnet inside the speaker enclosure. In a bass reflex install you simply face the speaker into the enclosure with the magnet out side.
The most important part of this is that you seal the lip of the speaker to the enclosure with silicone and let it dry well before making noise! LOL
This method does a couple of things it brings up the bass as best as can be with such a small speaker and lets the lower end of the sound spectrum ring out better then the highs. You will actually find the speaker to be louder with out the rattle.
There is a formula that speaker enclosure designers use in fact there is even an app for that! It takes in all the specs of the speaker and the audio range you want the speaker to work at. What makes most speaker installs rattle is the fact that the cone in moving to far in and out. It can only do this so fast before it just rattles! I have found that for most HO speakers that are about 1 inch in diameter work best with an enclosure that is about 3/4 to 1 inch cubed. Example 1 X 1 X 1. The thicker the wall material the better and add as much cotton as needed to keep it from vibrating the brass.
Try it! I install almost all my large HO steamers this way.
Again your ears may  vary! Try it both ways.
As someone else mention face the speaker up through the coal load! It always sounds better then from coming out from under the tender!
Ray Russell Sr.