sound decoder ?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Oct 27 11:32:43 EDT 2015

Hi Jimmy,
Sorry I am away from home so I cannot give you a photo but I can better
describe it!
Most speakers are installed with the magnet inside the speaker enclosure.
In a bass reflex install you simply face the speaker into the enclosure with
the  magnet out side.
The most important part of this is that you seal the lip of the speaker to
the enclosure with silicone and let it dry well before making noise! LOL
This method does a couple of things it brings up the bass as best as can be
 with such a small speaker and lets the lower end of the sound spectrum
ring out  better then the highs. You will actually find the speaker to be
louder with out  the rattle.
There is a formula that speaker enclosure designers use in fact there is
even an app for that! It takes in all the specs of the speaker and the audio
range you want the speaker to work at. What makes most speaker installs
rattle  is the fact that the cone in moving to far in and out. It can only do
this so  fast before it just rattles! I have found that for most HO speakers
that are  about 1 inch in diameter work best with an enclosure that is about
3/4 to 1 inch  cubed. Example 1 X 1 X 1. The thicker the wall material the
better and add as  much cotton as needed to keep it from vibrating the brass.
Try it! I install almost all my large HO steamers this way.
Again your ears may  vary! Try it both ways.
As someone else mention face the speaker up through the coal load! It
always sounds better then from coming out from under the tender!
Ray Russell Sr.

In a message dated 10/26/2015 2:53:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,