BALLAST

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 20 17:43:51 EDT 2015

The one planned ash pit is a ways off and I'm interested in your ideas.
My immediate need has been stone ballast and cinders for ballast and
roadbed shoulders.

I use two Tyler test sieves (thru Hogentogler & Co.
www.AffordableSieves.com ) to screen quarry sand, a 0.02" (#35) sieve
stacked on top of a 0.01" (#50) sieve. Anything too big gets caught in
the upper sieve, HO scale stone ballast gets caught in the bottom sieve,
and anything too small falls through the bottom sieve into one of
Susan's metal pie pans. The (dusty) ballast is rinsed in a shallow pan
with running water, agitated until the water runs clear, drained, and
left to dry.

Plain sand is dyed black, dried and then screened with the #50 sieve
such that the coarse powder that falls through as cinders is all smaller
than any of the stone ballast. Yield depends on how fine the sand was to
start and whatever gets caught in the sieve as too big for the scenic
part of the layout is set aside to ballast a staging yard.

What became the bigger issue to work through was color (or intensity)
and what affected it. The colors of stone, cinders, and crossties tend
to darken when scaled to the layout from outside (think Tuscan Red).
Limestone darkens when dust is rinsed off and some again when secured
with liquid adhesives. Cinders are black, but may appear grey at a
distance in bright light (on the layout, too). Photos for reference are
often taken in these conditions, plus exposure and printing can add to
the effect. Cinders and (wood) crossties are dyed, so the color can be
adjusted by eye with dye concentration and cooking time.

Different quarries are sampled to adjust stone color. My first thought
was Pounding Mill or PM/Bluefield, being the closest, but these looked a
bit too dark to my eye. Seems quarry pit color can shift over time (at
least 60 years) and ballast wasn't always sourced from the nearest
quarry, so this put other quarries in play including Blue Ridge and an
old sample from Pembroke.

Grant Carpenter