Paint color

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 13 13:44:23 EDT 2015

I have 35mm slides of 1013.  The 2 taken in 1974 show the locomotive appearing to be black?  The one in 1984 appears to be a very fading blue?  If it were black in 1974 and repainted after that date it would not have been painted blue.  Bothe the pics I'm attaching are Kodachrome.  Neither is taken under ideal lighting conditions.  Fading, dirty blue and black is an interesting study when looking at N&W locomotive slides (I have several 1000 shots of N&W diesel locomotives).  Attached are 2 shots. The 1984 shot sure looks blue and the 1974 shot sure looks black???????  But again if it were actually black in 1974 it would never have been repainted in blue as it appears in 1984.  Is it actually blue in 1974?

Ed Painter - From Narrows, VA living in North Georgia

Portsmouth 1974

Lynchburg 1984