Paint color code

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jul 5 17:10:14 EDT 2015

>From the March 1966 Norfolk and Western Magazine the color was N&W No. 23 acrylic blue enamel.  Manufacturer not identified.  Maybe someone else knows who made the paint.  To my eye N&W blue did not look exactly like B&O's, which was a very dark blue.  It seemed to have a slightly warmer tone than B&O's, for lack of a better word.

--Rick Morrison
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: NW Modeling List via NW-Modeling-List
  To: NW Modeling List
  Cc: NW Modeling List
  Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2015 12:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Paint color

  When I got a bad shell on my N Scale NS 8103 I sent it back to Fox Valley to get a new shell.  While I was talking with Matt from FVM he said the best match for the 8103 would be Scalecoat B&O Blue.  I've seen photos of some models painted with this color and it looks good to me.  Fortunately Scalecoat hasn't gone the way of Floquil because Minuteman Scale Models has acquired Scalecoat from Weaver.

  I've read of some modelers using the color codes to have paint exactly matched to the prototype's specs.  Does anyone know the color code for Post Merger Blue?

  Sorry for a late response.

  -Evan Miller