LC-2 vs EL-3a

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jun 9 13:55:39 EDT 2015

Mason:

I am occasionally startled by insight when putting timelines to specific technologies.  So it was when your comment about "N&W and Virginian using Westinghouse's latest design" prompted me to look at my cheat sheet of US heavy electric events (attached.)

What surprised me was that N&W's LC-2's were delivered in 1924, and VGN's EL-3a's in 1925-the opposite of the order I had previously assumed.  But the dates were so close that I wonder why the two railroads did not combine designs and orders to save money.  In any case, it is very clear that these designs were nearly contemporaneous, as you pointed out.

Marklin??  Interesting!  Have they done any US prototype electric before?  I'd love for Broadway Limited to put the effort into an LC-2 project that they did into their GG-1.  That remains one of the best heavy electric models ever produced, including nearly all brass.  I'd certainly go for a Bachmann model, if they did as good a job with it as they did with the VGN/N&W/NH/Conrail EL-C's (EF-4's) or their GG-1.

And BTW, thank you for your N&W Electrics book.  It is very well done, and I'm always glad to return to it for a "refresher course" when and as needed!

Best,

-Eric Bott