Boxcar roofs

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Apr 10 10:49:51 EDT 2015

Did the N&W ever paint their boxcar roofs and ends black? Many railroads used a freight car coating on ends and roofs for protection.
I'm specifically wondering about class B1 round roof cars.
Just purchased a Lionel B1 boxcar in O 3 Rail which I plan to convert to 2 Rail. It's not a bad model for the price and appears to be scale.
I will have to use a standard Bettendorf truck as it doesn't appear that the proper coil/elliptical spring ones are available in O scale.
Maybe I'll have it done for the Marion convention!

Jim Kehn