Model Reviews; VGN AG etc.

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 4 15:20:25 EST 2015

It would be hard to assert that MTH's engineering was worse than Baldwin's,
or Erie's, or VGN's, on the triplexes.  In addition to its obvious
conformational flaws, the MTH model operates far too well to faithfully
represent the XA.

I'm suspicious that a modeler would buy a model of an XA to "run", for two
reasons:  (1) the prototype didn't; and (2) given the isolation of the
climb to Clarks Gap, the extremely narrow time window of the XA's existance
as a triplex, and the length of train involved-- not to mention the
obligatory pair of Mallets at the head of the train, it's hard to believe
that any layout exists that recreates the necessary operating ambience.
[Lest you accuse me of boorish recitation of others' authentic first-hand
observations of Clarks Gap, check out the attached photo.  I have walked
most of the VGN's electrified route from Mullens to Narrows.  This past
September I finally managed to find the Virginian's (N&W's, NS's) Clarks
Gap tunnel-- a non-trivial feat.  A census of Clarks Gap, WV would show a
population of 26 people (I asked.)  I polled 19.2% of them to see if they
could direct me to "the railroad tunnel at Clarks Gap".  All claimed to
know the area intimately.  80% of those polled had no knowledge of the
tunnel and denied its existence.  20% of them responded, "Sure!  It runs
right underneath where we're standing."  A short drive and a long and steep
walk later, I took this photo.  If you blow it up, you can see the cast-in
1922 date on the left side of the arch.  On a different note, in no way
imaginable could it have been an amusing experience to have been an
engineman on the 3rd articulated loco of a train going East through that
tunnel!  The preceeding uncompensated 2% grade of 14 miles length, and 10
degree curve entering the tunnel (and, yes, the XA's 3-5 mph top end) must
have made that 3rd cab as close to Hell as ever replicated on Earth.]

It seems more credible that a model of an XA would be bought to admire in
static repose (and therefore should be pretty darn accurate in
appearance)-- and almost mandatory that it operate like crap, to be
faithful to prototype.  You'd be FAR better off to waste your money (a lot
of it) on a Precision Scale model of the XA, or to add sand to the
gearboxes of a Key model of it.  If you don't live near a beach, a 60# bag
should be enough.

-Eric Bott

Moderator: